You can apply for admission if you have a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, engineer’s degree or equivalent.
All applicants must be able to provide evidence that their command of the English language is sufficient – at least B2 level, documented by one of the certificates from this list >>
The applicant is qualified on the basis of an entrance written exam in English which measures the basic knowledge of cognitive science and formal logic, as well as the ability of critical reading of scientific papers. It will be a multiple-choice test with one correct answer based on the following readings:
- Bermudez, J. L. (2014). Cognitive science: an introduction to the science of the mind. Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Chpts 1.1. –3., pp. 5-55
- Chpt 3, pp. 59-81
- Chpts 4.1. –3., pp. 87-98
- Chpt 8, pp. 209-235
- Chpt 9, pp. 239-272
- Chpt 10, pp. 279-311
- Chpts 11.1. –3., 11.5, pp. 315-336, 343-346
- Chpts 12.2-12.6, pp. 361-395
- Chpt 13.1., 13.3, pp. 404-411, 420-429
- Dienes, Z. (2008). Understanding Psychology as a Science: An
Introduction to Scientific and Statistical Inference (chapter 3). Palgrave
- Knops, A., Thirion, B., Hubbard, E. M., Michel, V., & Dehaene, S. (2009). Recruitment of an area involved in eye movements during mental arithmetic. Science, 324(5934), 1583-1585.
- With Supporting online material: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/2505/cafdd37f56a0257ffa4a10d7fa5e65858a9c.pdf
- Metta, G., Natale, L., Nori, F., Sandini, G., Vernon, D., Fadiga, L., … & Bernardino, A. (2010). The iCub humanoid robot: An open-systems platform for research in cognitive development. Neural Networks, 23(8-9), 1125-1134.
- Partee, B. H., ter Meulen, A., Wall, R. E. (1990). Mathematical methods in linguistics. Dordrecht: Kluver Academic.
- Chpt 6, pp. 99-130
- Chpt 7.1. –4, 7.6 – 7.8, pp. 137-165, 170-175
A maximum of 35 applicants who achieve the best results from the exam – but not lower than 60% of the maximum score – will be qualified for the programme.
DEADLINES FOR THE FIRST TURN OF 2020/21 ADMISSIONS
The IRK (the Internet Recruitment for Candidates) system will be open for registration from 03 June 2020 till 03 July 2020.
Application fee payment should be made no later than on 04 July 2020.
The written exam takes place on 10 July 2020 at the Faculty of Psychology. Applicants living abroad can take a distance exam (details will be announced soon).
Results are going to be posted on 17 July 2020 on the candidate’s IRK account.
Documents will be accepted on the following days:
- I round: 20-22 July 2020
- II round (in case of not fulfilling the limit in I round): 23 – 24 July 2020
NOTE: The certificate confirming the knowledge of English should be uploaded to your account in the Internet system for candidates (IRK) by the registration deadline, i.e. 3 July 2020.
NOTE: Applicants who are in the process of completing studies entitling them to take up second-cycle studies may register in the Internet system for candidates (IRK) and take part in the admission process befor obteining their diploma. However, in order to be accepted, a diploma (or a proof of graduation) must be delivered at the time of submitting documents.
Due to COVID-19 situation the entrance exam for Cognitive Science will be conducted online exclusively. This means that there will be no stationary exam this year.
The exam will be carried out using digital tools provided by the university e-learning platform “Kampus-rekrutacja” conducted by the Digital Competence Centre of Warsaw University. The test will start on July 10th at 1 PM Warsaw time (UTC +2 hours). You will need stable internet connection and a webcam (for identity verification).
At this stage you should download a “Statement about taking part in the remote exam/interview” form your IRK account (tab “Enrollment applications”, link to “Documents and further steps” – at the bottom of the table ), sign it and send a scan to: email@example.com . Please, format the name of the file in this way: Surname_ IRK identifier, eg: “Smith_12345.pdf”. This will facilitate and speed up the whole process.
As soon as we receive information that the “Kampus-rekrutacja” platform is ready we will inform you through the IRK system.
Welcome Point invites international students!
The Welcome Point is the central information service for international students – both those who come to the UW for one semester exchange and to pursue the whole cycle of their studies. We cooperate closely with the Admissions Office, the International Relations Office, the Office for Student Affairs and other University units to provide you with relevant and up-to-date information in matters related to the University, student activities, and everyday life.