A Graduate’s ABC for 2020/2021
– What to do when you want to defend –
Graduating is a process consisting of number of actions – most of them have to be done by student so please read carefully and follow the instruction.
Go to your USOS account. Click “student section” -> “grades”. What you see is your transcript. Now check all your ECTS points, you should have collected between 120- 132 ECTS.
*If you have less than 120 ECTS you cannot graduate – please write a request to the dean to repeat the last year to complete the missing requirements.
*If you have over 132 ECTS points – please inform the office about this situation.
Note: Master’s thesis seminar is worth 4 ECTS per semester. It is very common for students to obtain a grade from the course a little later (sometimes even after submitting their ready master’s thesis), so do not worry if you have for example 116 ECTS, because you will still meet the requirement of 120 ECTS after the grade for Master’s thesis seminar is registered in USOS.
Stay at your USOS profile and check if you meet all the requirements for obtaining an Absolutorium. (Note: without Absolutorium you cannot proceed with your defense. Obtaining it means a closure to your study program)
If you collected the accurate number of ECTS then you should check if you also have:
- A block of introductory courses – 31 ECTS credits
- A block of „thematic paths” – 16 ECTS credits
- A block of optional modules – 35 ECTS credits
- A block of remaining courses: Diploma seminar – 12 ECTS credits, Research laboratory – 15 ECTS credits,Internships – 5 ECTS credit
- General module block: general university courses – 6 ECTS credits
If you had met all the above requirements it means you have an Absolutorium. It is time then to check if the course are linked to the stage and to deliver the program for check up.
Prepare your Master’s thesis in the formal way.
Your master’s thesis should include some formal elements. Please check: Make sure you have the first few pages done EXACTLY in the way it is specified on the website, you will also find there a guide with helpful hints. If you wish the office to check if your first 3 pages have no formal mistakes you can send the file to firstname.lastname@example.org to verify it.
This is the best moment for proofreading the thesis one last time to make sure there are no mistakes in there.
Sending your Master’s thesis to your supervisor.
When your thesis is ready please send to your tutor a file with a final version of the thesis in PDF format. It should be the whole version of your thesis, from the title page til the last page, including bibliography and attachments. The tutor, after checking the file, will send it to the office. We do not require a paper version of your thesis, so you do not need to print it.
Please check in usos if your Diploma seminar IV course has been graded. If not, you need to ask your supervisor to put a grade in the usos protocol.
Sending your Master’s thesis to the APD (University of Warsaw Theses Archive).
After the antiplagiarism report is accepted by your tutor you will be asked to log in to APD https://apd.uw.edu.pl/ and upload your thesis there (you login in the same way as to your account in USOS). The file should be of course the final version of your thesis (the whole version with bibliography and attachments) in PDF format. The name of the file has to be: 2500-MGR-COG-yourpeselnumber.pdf. If you are a foreigner and you do not have a PESEL number then please put your USOS login number there (the 007… number).
The APD form will also require filling the fields:
– “Title” just in Polish;
– “Key words” (they should reflect subject matter of your thesis) both in English and Polish;
– “Abstracts” (copy it directly from your thesis – the first formal pages) both in English and Polish;
At step 1 of APD (Entering thesis data) before uploading the thesis you will be asked to confirm 2 statements: 1. Aware of legal liability I certify that the thesis submitted has been prepared by myself and does not include information gathered contrary to the law.
- I also declare that the thesis submitted has not been the subject of proceedings resulting in the award of a university degree.
Only after you confirm these 2 statements uploading the thesis is possible.
Informing the office about the exact date of your defense and confirming the availability of technical conditions required for the online defense.
- a) Now you need to inform the office email@example.com after discussing it with your supervisor and reviewer, about the planned date and hour of the defense. The supervisor will fix the date with the reviewer. Please consider the
fact that it is recommended that the defense should take place no earlier than a month after sending the final version of the thesis to your tutor (due to anti-plagiarism and documentation procedures), but in exceptional circumstances this period can be shortened.
Having the proposed date, the office will find a person who will be the head of the commission during your defense exam.
- b) You will have then to send to the office your statement confirming readiness to take part in the defense conducted online taking into account technical conditions, i.e:
– computer with the access to the internet,
– active account on the Google Suite platform (the defense will take place using Google Meet apps), – a video camera connected to your computer,
– a microphone connected to your computer.
Other formalities to do before the defense.
- a) the Office will prepare a Student clearance card (obiegówka) in USOS and a few days before the defense you should log in there and answer the questions addressed to you.
- b) The Office will prepare a payment to make in USOS for your diploma, so please log in to the system (USOS: student’s section -> payments ->academic bank accounts) and pay 100 PLN total (60 PLN for the diploma plus 40 PLN for an additional copy of a diploma in English; If you want to have two copies of diploma in English – please inform the office while sending your master thesis. For this second copy you will have to pay additional 40 PLN fee. All the payments must be registered in the system no later than one week before the date of your defence.
If you have any questions or doubts, please don’t assume it’s nothing important: ASK!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
In exceptional (!!!) cases, if you are late with your work on the thesis and you will not be able to defend your thesis by the end of September, you need to write a request to the Vice-Dean for Student’s Affairs, dr hab. Kamilla Bargiel – Matusiewicz in early September asking for a prolongation of defending your thesis until the end of the calendar year but it is upon Vice-Dean’s decision to approve or reject the request.
In case you applied for resumption of studies please contact the office firstname.lastname@example.org because there are more steps to do preceding the procedure itself.